Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expat brats
Can anyone tell me exactly what an expat brat is.......

As a so called freind of my eldest has told her that she is not worthy of her friendship, I was jobsmacked to say the least and my daughter has been left wondering what she has done wrong!!

She also told her that she decides who has her freindship!!! What the hell is this all about?

The Expat brat term is often used to describe people who've lived the majority of their lives in this country. I've really not heard the term used in any other place. Been born and lived the first fews years of their lives somewhere else but grown up and educated here etc.

The term is not used in a very nice way all as far as I can gather and the people I've heard use it in the sense of describing kids who're a bit spoiled and had a bit of a privilaged life here and have little idea of the 'real world' as they'd put it and are a bit out of touch.

That's just the way people I know who've been brought up here have described it to me.

Its not a term Im familiar with but have heard it mentioned on the odd occasion when waiting at the school, and you over hear other mum,s discussing children in a bad way that are not thier own.

mikki ...sorry at the danger of sounding like a twat...isnt the term self explanatory?...to a certain extent..."over"priviledged kids...sometimes spoilt silly by thier parents...not perhaps knowing the real value of money...the list goes on...doesnt have to apply in your case...but i am just putting a generalised explanation accross...

constantine Wrote:mikki ...sorry at the danger of sounding like a twat...isnt the term self explanatory?...to a certain extent..."over"priviledged kids...sometimes spoilt silly by thier parents...not perhaps knowing the real value of money...the list goes on...doesnt have to apply in your case...but i am just putting a generalised explanation accross...

LOL....No, your not a Twat! I had some idea that it meant " Spoilt " but wanted to hear other ppl's views as mine are pretty basic, but it still amazed me that a lass of 13 thinks she is superior to her peers.

Fortunately my daughter does know the value of money, and she has never been spoilt.... other than extra pennies from time to time from the grandfolks, but she could see no worng in her friend at the time and wondered whyshe did all the " Running"

Mikkie

We've travelled a bit with our kids and the term has been used in every place we've been too and I've met quite a few expat brats..... thing is their parents are worse than their kids! Confusedhock: I don't think the problem is being spoilt in a financial way it is that they have been spoiled in the way that they haven't actually gained anything from their experiences travelling-they are rude/obnoxious and racist despite being exposed to different cultures-their values are out of whack!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Expat writers mike103 3 7,140 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Last Post: BFG-9000
  expat beach resorts 4324mas 1 4,292 06-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Last Post: 4324mas