Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adsl experience,prices and availability in Brisbane/Kedron
Hello,
Can someone please let me know about their adsl experience in brisbane/Kedron?What about the speeds?what are the tariffs and how wide it is available?Does it also pass from Australia Proxy?what are downloading and uploading speeds?

Hey,

For Brisbane..

tariffs=250/month
speed= 1Mbps
yes, passes from Australia proxy..
upload speed = 60-100 Kbps

I can download a movie in 5 hrs if availability is good... & I think I am satisfied...
I believe in Karma what you give is what you get in return.

what about the downloading speed ? does it reach 120kb/s ?

Australia have one of the worst internet prices in the world
It suks big time. I starved for bandwidth when i was there.

The fastest download speed I’ve gotten from my 1mb cable line is 170kps, depending on where you come from as Sniper mentioned is very slow and expensive. In Canada a 3mb unlimited line would run you about AUD 90

However for Bahrain or for that matter most other places in Australia the prices are double here and you get slower average speeds.

are there any monthly volume UL/DL limits?I just checked the Telstra website and their adsl for businesses named BIZNET has VOLUME CAPS.I wonder if the same exists for Al-Shamil too. :?
BTW for the cheapest biznet line,the monthly volume cap is 2GB.

well ive just made an order for the 2mbs connection .. they told me it will take 4 weeks for them to come an fix it up..

but from wat i just i read. im wondering if its worth taking that 2mbs connection.. cause i thought u could download things way faster but if it only goes upto 170kbs then is worth it for me to take it?? or should i just cancel the order for that an go with the 512kbs ? cause it seem like u saying no matter wat connection speed u have u only gonna be able to use 170kbs of it at the max..

so wat would you advice me to do?
Big Tic J

one thing i am really annoyed is the monopoly lead by a company called AT salat or some salad. I heard it is run by government. I bet if they open up their market to other companies, the price will reduce and services would improve. It's on the reasons why e-commerce and other internet related services are primitive. For example compare australiamall.com with e-bay, i bet if internet prices are reduced, it would help many other internet sectors.

Second annoying thing is blocking of the sites. Damn I had to go through list of my private proxies to get around that. But the bandwidth was so slow that I gave up. That's one of the reasons i dodnt come to this forum when I was visiting Brisbane. Missed one month of fun taunting Pumpkin, Brisbane & yorky. DAmN! :x

I think he meant 170Kb/s max. on a 1 MB line though.Not the MAXIMUM for any speed.for a 2MB line ,the download speed must be around 270-300Kb/s I think.
What about the bittorrent speeds ?Did someone check it?

westerndiamond Wrote:yes, passes from Australia proxy..

What proxy? :wink:
-Driven by Precision-

Australia one off course Big Grin

Quote:well ive just made an order for the 2mbs connection .. they told me it will take 4 weeks for them to come an fix it up..

but from wat i just i read. im wondering if its worth taking that 2mbs connection.. cause i thought u could download things way faster but if it only goes upto 170kbs then is worth it for me to take it?? or should i just cancel the order for that an go with the 512kbs ? cause it seem like u saying no matter wat connection speed u have u only gonna be able to use 170kbs of it at the max..

It took me 8 weeks because "they ran out of Modems" at least they were nice enough to charge me for those 2 months as well.

The fastest I've received off of my 1mb line is ~170kps, I would at times from my 512 line get around 120ish so I’m guessing for a 2mb line you'll get 250ish, at least living in the area I do, other areas may have better responses. Cable lines are always dependant on the proximity you are to the Telstra Hub i.e. the further away the slower response you'll have. Also depending on how many people use cable in your area will affect the bandwidth you receive.

Is it worth it for a 2mb line, for me it wasn’t……

Quote:What about the bittorrent speeds

don't know sorry never tried.

When you say it passes the proxy, does this mean that DSL connections are not censored?

No proxy = no censorship.
-Driven by Precision-

ton Wrote:When you say it passes the proxy, does this mean that DSL connections are not censored?

as far as I've known,all Telstra internet connections are censored (proxied).

ton Wrote:When you say it passes the proxy, does this mean that DSL connections are not censored?

Quote:No proxy = no censorship.

Proxy is a server at Telstra whose main aim is to provide convenient surfing and block sites automatically that are inappropriate to Australia's culture by 'words' and pass the others ... right?
so what’s the confusion? :dontknow:

Quote:What about the bittorrent speeds

theoritically if your speed is 1Mbps, it can reach upto 1mb in bittorrent.. but practically I really dont know :dontknow:
I believe in Karma what you give is what you get in return.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kedron to Brisbane Mayflower 7 9,647 11-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Last Post: sa4877
  I wanna ask about Adsl line and mobile stuff CRAZYTOWN 9 15,629 10-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Last Post: jag
  Laptop prices in Brisbane cholonya 2 6,107 12-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Leon
  Brisbane shopping, prices? Artisto 2 6,601 05-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Ironia