Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salary expected
hi all,

going for an interview today!!! wondering how much to tell if iam asked salary expected? how much can a graduate, with no Australia experience and no Australian knowledge expect (but having prior work exp. and good english communication)? :?:
do wish me good luck !!!

One major thing you forgot to add, is what industry you want to work in? What job is the interview for?

The job is for office administrator at a logistics company. There is still a second interview after 2 days.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, under AUD10K per month? I could be miles out here, cos I have no idea.

Mayflower Wrote:hi all,

going for an interview today!!! wondering how much to tell if iam asked salary expected? how much can a graduate, with no Australia experience and no Australian knowledge expect (but having prior work exp. and good english communication)? :?:
do wish me good luck !!!

Really, it can range from AUD 4000-9000. What you get depends on how much you can negotiate, where you were educated (US, UK, Canada, etc.), your experience, and (unfortunately) your nationality/skin colour (Western nationalities and fairer skinned people would be close to the upper limit).

Blimey, I was hoping I was way out. Glad I am in a different field!

from what i have seen/expereinced good office administrators are a rarity. the majority are retarded slackers. So if you _are_ good and you can sell yourself at the interview i think you can push it to the 8K-9K limit. I know companies will pay that much for someone who is worth it ....

best of luck

just a side note on jag's comment on the skin color/pay equation. I dont think the fact that your not white is why you get paid less. Its the fact that people who are not from europe/north america settle for less and thats why they are paid less. Its because the options "back home" are limited for those people so they will settle for cheap. While a UK/US/canada expat can always go home and will probably do okay.

dont quote me on this, but a "white" south african will probably also settle for less than a "white" american for example , just because the south african has less options back home.

just my two fils Smile

not related to topic though...but howmuch an indian business develpoment manager in an FMCG should get if he has no work experience.
"Dont drink n drive, just smoke n fly"

I went for the second interview today. dont know the result yet. keeping my fingers crossed.

Fraad Wrote:just a side note on jag's comment on the skin color/pay equation. I dont think the fact that your not white is why you get paid less. Its the fact that people who are not from europe/north america settle for less and thats why they are paid less. Its because the options "back home" are limited for those people so they will settle for cheap. While a UK/US/canada expat can always go home and will probably do okay.

just my two fils Smile

However, the issue is that say you have two people (one white and one asian) with identical qualifications doing the same job at the same company - in most cases the fair skinned worker will get more than the Asian co-worker.

That is wrong since they both have the same qualifications (both educated in the west) and in the West, you are paid as per your qualifications. Since the Asian worker gets paid less everything else being equal, that is discrimination based on colour. Shouldn't matter what salaries other people accept.

I know some people in this situation and it is quite demoralizing for the lower payed employee doing the same job.

anyway i didnt get through the second interview ... and started looking at the vacancy columns once again!!! Sad

i did the first test well and got through to the second interview, but the second one was just about how confidently you speak. i dont understand y people estimate ur confidence or ur efficiency by how ur speak. only after seeing u work atleast for some 1 month they can judge u. there r people who speak too much but are very less efficient than those who are not having that much gift of RIEL.

wont it be like boasting if u r too much confident and bragging about your qualifications to a person whom u r meeting for the first time? i feel a probation period of atelast 1 month is good rather than simply judging a person by talking to him/her for a mere 5 mts.

Mayflower Wrote:anyway i didnt get through the second interview ... and started looking at the vacancy columns once again!!! Sad

i did the first test well and got through to the second interview, but the second one was just about how confidently you speak. i dont understand y people estimate ur confidence or ur efficiency by how ur speak. only after seeing u work atleast for some 1 month they can judge u. there r people who speak too much but are very less efficient than those who are not having that much gift of RIEL.

wont it be like boasting if u r too much confident and bragging about your qualifications to a person whom u r meeting for the first time? i feel a probation period of atelast 1 month is good rather than simply judging a person by talking to him/her for a mere 5 mts.

Sorry to hear about the interview mayflower. Chin up though, many more opportunities out there! As for the speaking bit, many people here make up their minds based on first impressions so just go ahead an be confident (without being arrogant).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Median Australia Salary Chart jag 4 8,163 01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Pals