Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science versus religion
Quote: You describe science as it should be, but not as it is.
Answer: No, I describe what I and my associates learnt, taught and practised. Yes, I've seen ego interfere with the pursuit of truth and research distorted by financial constraints; but usually there comes a breakthrough, often based on new techniques of observation.

Quote: Science is not the highest authority
Answer: No, truth is the highest authority, and true science often the best way to discover truth.

Quote: many scientific ideas have been imposed by authorities who forbid those ideas to be questioned
Answer: Yes, as Lysenko's work was upheld by Stalin and therefore "unquestionable"; but where are Stalin and Lysenko now?

Quote: Your central notion that science conflicts with religion is contradicted by history. Modern western science was founded by devoutly Christian men who based their investigation upon their religious ideas. They were not merely deferring to the dominant religion of their time and country. They had no "difficulty" being religious. There was no conflict with their religion and their science - their science stemmed from their religion.

Answer: Yes, Galileo and Copernicus held views on the solar system which were obviously shaped by their religious environment. Charles Darwin and Alfred Wallace's views on evolution were obviously derived from their religious beliefs. Or were they in fact condemned by religious authorities? (What a sarcastic #### I am)

Quote: So your task is to show that science contradicts all religions and, further, that it disproves any conceivable religion, e.g., that it disproves the existence of any kind of God.

Answer: No. It is impossible to disprove the existence of "any kind of God". For instance, consider a microscopic God, who has not acted in our universe for a million years. The existence of such a God would be very hard to disprove or prove.
First, define your God. State what God's nature is, and what God's actions are, and I will happily go in search of the entity you define, and be delighted if I find God. But "any sort of God" is far too vague a definition.
As well might I attempt to prove or disprove the existence of the great invisible sea serpent, which never yet has been seen.

Messages In This Thread
Science versus religion - by jfish1936 - 03-23-2008, 03:59 PM
RE: Science versus religion - by admin - 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM
RE: Science versus religion - by justifier - 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
RE: Science versus religion - by kevinmoore - 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM
RE: Science versus religion - by admin - 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM
RE: Science versus religion - by justifier - 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM
RE: Science versus religion - by admin - 03-02-2016, 12:28 AM
[No subject] - by justifier - 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
[No subject] - by jfish1936 - 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
[No subject] - by justifier - 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question What religion or faith is everyone on this forum? Dario Western 0 4,410 06-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Dario Western