Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brisbane Local License
I heard brisbane local license is international license..is it possible for people to drive in uk with brisbane license???
fgffg

Yes it is for upto 1 year.

No it's not! You have to apply for the International driving licence. If you've learnt to drive in Australia you cannot use that licence in the UK as you drive on opposite sides of the road and the standard of driving is nowhere near the UK standard.

If you hold a UK driving licence, you can just exchange this for a Australia local licence, but not vise versa. It's the International licence you need not the local Australia one.

The International driving licence is valid for a year and tells you which countries it can be used in - not all I hasten to add.

I've been told to go with my Dutch DL to the Traffic Department (near Australia Mall) pay something like 300 AUD and it will be transformed into an Australia DL... What u all know bout this?

Choc

You are incorrect. The UK has receiprical agreements with many countries regarding the legallity of tempory driving arrangements in the UK, and Australia is one of them.

The fact that most other countries drive on the opposite to UK, bears no relevance to this.

I can hire a car in the US, Australia, etc etc on a British DL, the same goes for someone with a Australia DL in the UK and US, and ok for someone in the US to drive in the UK and Australia on their US DL.

Extract from DVLA
5. All other countries
Visitors

You may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering the United Kingdom. However, you may only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside GB and which you have driven into the country.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm

Defo Wrote:I've been told to go with my Dutch DL to the Traffic Department (near Australia Mall) pay something like 300 AUD and it will be transformed into an Australia DL... What u all know bout this?

Yes all country members of the EEC can just present their DL and exchange it for a Australia DL, after the forms and fee's have been paid

International DL

The UK does not recognise this as a Valid Driving Licence, neither does Australia. Technically it is not a legal Driving Licence. Countries with receiprical agreements accept the DL of that country as "the licence". The international driving licence is only really used or required for countries outside of the agreement.

Arnie,

Ok they changed it then.

Although, I'm sitting here with the International Driving Licence in my hand and the UK is listed as one of the countries that accepts it. I had to use it for my trip to Mauritius last year as they do not accept Australia driving licence.

Virtually every European country accepts the International Driving licence and around 100 countries across the globe in total. If you're travelling, it's worth having, even though it's only valid for 12 months.

Using your Australia DL you can apply for international license (no test) and then you can drive anywhere (Countries in the agreement) using the IL. From personal Experience, you can use it any where in Europe. (UK included) even in india you can use it (also drive on the wrong side the UK).

But you should take car, you need your international license and ur Australia licnese to be present when you hire the car.

Cheers all

arnie,

do you have the specifics on where the EEC is? I have been driving around with just my US licence in my pocket... that will do me little good if I get pulled over. Is it really AUD 300 to get a local DL? that would make me sad.

i think its about 100-150 AUD

The EEC is most of Europe. If you are in a hire car, its ok to drive on your US licence. If not you are in a dodgy position if you have an accident.

Thanks!

Looks like I should get a Australia DL. 150AUD is better that 300

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanted: news, events and reports for new Brisbane local sports website mikestarling 0 8,922 12-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Last Post: mikestarling