Poll: Are you satisfied with the Club scene in Brisbane?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Oh yes, I'm out everynight partying with friends!
0%
0 0%
Yes, but I wish we had more options to choose from.
60.00%
3 60.00%
So-so, I enjoy going out but the people get on my nerves.
40.00%
2 40.00%
No, there are only a few places with good DJs, it becomes old.
0%
0 0%
Heck no! This place is full of wantabes and fake people, DJs and the service is SLOW!
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do REAL DJs use vinyl, cds, or software?
I am not a DJ... have a nice music collection in my itunes, so I was looking at various software that can extend or complement itunes for home use. I came across this software; http://www.baytex.net and remembered a discussion that I had with a friend about two-three years ago about how DJ will have to move to computers as less and less vinyl is being produced by the major labels and as the manufacturing equipment gets older and more costly to repair, then inevitable will happen, no more vinyl.

So here I am two-three years later wondering what is the standard for REAL DJs. I know that most, bar DJs simply use computers but that is simply playing song A -> cross fade -> song B. But what are you real DJs using? Are you still spinning vinyl, using the newer CD decks, or gone software base?

Just wondering on this fine Thursday evening... now I getting ready to go out. 8)

Stainless

PS. What are your thoughts on the up and coming trend with VJs?
Average people talk about other people.
Above Average people talk about things.
Wise people talk about ideas.

What would you like to discuss?

Yes there are still DJs who use vinyl those who can afford them and those who wouldnt mind carrying huge road ready vinyl boxes ... but for me im more into CD Audio and CD Mp3s mixing ... cheap, compact and convenient with the right Dj Cd players and mixers they are awesome !!!

my current setup = DENON 2 x DNS 5000 plus DENON DNX 1500 !!! and Sennheiser HD 515 head gear

and my set up after ramandan will be one (Just REleased) DNS 3500 direct drive, DNS 5000 Alpha Track Capable CD player and a DNX 1500 mixer and a Denon DJ Headphone

Specs :

DNS 5000 = CD-R / CD-RW, MP3 Support, Alpha Track (You can mix 2 songs in 1 cd, in 1 player and mix them on 2 seperate channels, with independent controll on pitch and effects, and motorized belt driven rotating platter .. Creative mixing at its Best!!! (5000 track Memory for cues, loops, and hotkeys sets) 2 directional scratch, 3 way scratch( main, alpha & Sampler)

DNS 3500 = CD-R / CD-RW, FULL MP3 Capability, Can Copy from loop to sampler (Awsome!!!) with 5000 track memory for cues, loops and samples. 7 onboard effects !!!! 2 directional scratch 2.5 KG on a 7" Platter of Torque Direct Drive Rotating Platter (Talk about In Your face scratching accuracy) and more !!! (Ive used it at a Denon Seminar in Australia .. where i was invited to sample it I fell in LOVE with the machine on the spot !!!!! ) its like having a real Turntable feel !!!!!! if i get the right discount then ill and When they say Full MP3 capability they mean FULL MP3 capability,.. you can save your settings NOW on Mp3 scratch MP3 and it sounded like a vinyl cool !!!!!!

Vinyl is good ! i used to spin using a vinyl!! but with todays wide array of genres and music ... i find Audio CD and MP3 mixing more convenient due to its portability specially with a DJ like me who doesnt stay at one Venue ... I only Do private underground Parties ... cause thats where the real money's at ... and My Denon DJ Gear had Never left me hanging ever !!!!
Being a DJ is not a GOD given talent !!!!
its a Gift ..... by who ??? .... hmmmm

most of the DJ's i have seen use CD's only...i m not a Dj...but i used to play music in parties during my post graduation in campus parties.....using my comp and a software called BPM Mixer....i dont know how good it wa as compared to professional DJ's ....but it had a lot of options....besides it was very user friendly which make it easier for new guys to learn....
"Dont drink n drive, just smoke n fly"

mINOR pLEASURE Wrote:Yes there are still DJs who use vinyl those who can afford them and those who wouldnt mind carrying huge road ready vinyl boxes ... but for me im more into CD Audio and CD Mp3s mixing ... cheap, compact and convenient with the right Dj Cd players and mixers they are awesome !!!

my current setup = DENON 2 x DNS 5000 plus DENON DNX 1500 !!! and Sennheiser HD 515 head gear

and my set up after ramandan will be one (Just REleased) DNS 3500 direct drive, DNS 5000 Alpha Track Capable CD player and a DNX 1500 mixer and a Denon DJ Headphone

Specs :

DNS 5000 = CD-R / CD-RW, MP3 Support, Alpha Track (You can mix 2 songs in 1 cd, in 1 player and mix them on 2 seperate channels, with independent controll on pitch and effects, and motorized belt driven rotating platter .. Creative mixing at its Best!!! (5000 track Memory for cues, loops, and hotkeys sets) 2 directional scratch, 3 way scratch( main, alpha & Sampler)

DNS 3500 = CD-R / CD-RW, FULL MP3 Capability, Can Copy from loop to sampler (Awsome!!!) with 5000 track memory for cues, loops and samples. 7 onboard effects !!!! 2 directional scratch 2.5 KG on a 7" Platter of Torque Direct Drive Rotating Platter (Talk about In Your face scratching accuracy) and more !!! (Ive used it at a Denon Seminar in Australia .. where i was invited to sample it I fell in LOVE with the machine on the spot !!!!! ) its like having a real Turntable feel !!!!!! if i get the right discount then ill and When they say Full MP3 capability they mean FULL MP3 capability,.. you can save your settings NOW on Mp3 scratch MP3 and it sounded like a vinyl cool !!!!!!

Vinyl is good ! i used to spin using a vinyl!! but with todays wide array of genres and music ... i find Audio CD and MP3 mixing more convenient due to its portability specially with a DJ like me who doesnt stay at one Venue ... I only Do private underground Parties ... cause thats where the real money's at ... and My Denon DJ Gear had Never left me hanging ever !!!!
Hi Major,

How cadoogles!!! Those Denons sound completely off the roof! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: I have the Alpha Track of mixing two song on the same CD... that shit is sick!

I can say that you, my friend are a REAL DJ, not just one of these (MANY) wantabes here in Brisbane that play 185BPM->100->175 crap that I have heard here in Brisbane... When I first moved here, I had some friend take me out to places they thought had an awesome DJ, but boy they sucked. All the trans where cross fade with zero or horrible beat match. Sampling for trans... ah, they didn't even have a mixer that could handle it but everyone thought that they where good because they played the popular dance songs and of course the alcohol did nothing more but contribute to this belief that they where good.

I would love to see you play sometime, I am sure that you would kick some beats out.

Kewl,
Stainless

thats cool man .. if i get a party booked ill pm you and castelliano and send you some invites .... but right now im more consentrated on being a corporate slave !!! ive got strict targets and dead lines to achieve on Easter ... tight shit my sched these days ... but ofcourse i would always have time for my brisbaneforums ,... if they block brisbane forums i would resign .... !!!! hahahahahaaha

and i never thought that im a good DJ im Ok... but i never thought im good nor the best like some jocks i know. Because when a person thinks that hes the best then the practise and learning stops ... then thats the time you get fcked !!!! being a DJ is not a talent nor a gift that stays ... being a DJ is a Skill that needed to be re freshed and practised every now and then ...

anybody can be a DJ if they just put their mind into it ....

mINOR pLEASURE Wrote:thats cool man .. if i get a party booked ill pm you and castelliano and send you some invites .... but right now im more consentrated on being a corporate slave !!! ive got strict targets and dead lines to achieve on Easter ... tight shit my sched these days ... but ofcourse i would always have time for my brisbaneforums ,... if they block brisbane forums i would resign .... !!!! hahahahahaaha

and i never thought that im a good DJ im Ok... but i never thought im good nor the best like some jocks i know. Because when a person thinks that hes the best then the practise and learning stops ... then thats the time you get fcked !!!! being a DJ is not a talent nor a gift that stays ... being a DJ is a Skill that needed to be re freshed and practised every now and then ...

anybody can be a DJ if they just put their mind into it ....
Amen brother... speaking the truth! Smile

Looking forward to the invite, and with that attitude I am sure that rock the roof off.

Stainless

Most of the DJ's I know use a mixture of vinyl and CD's. Some mixes are only available on vinyl like white label records where a track has been pressed and it's not signed up to a distributor yet. CD's are definately easier for carrying around, I don't really think it matters as the mixing CD players are so good now.

With regard to using computers in clubs, of course it's a natural progression, but I really only see the party set guys using them, none of the serious club DJ would be using it, as you could pre-mix all the stuff together and just let it go, only the guys who do much more MCing really use them.

THere are some kicking DJ's around who just need a big break.

If you're into progressive beats and phat tunes check out Rob B at Bar Dada in the Ibis hotel on a Thursday, he's awsome.

sorry i cant seem to delete this hahaha

There are lots of white label track that are in cds !! we had a copy of most of the track radios play now before they even get in on air ... check out www.HTFR.com ... thats a start hehehehee thats not where we get our white label cd tracks but yes its a start ... you really have to utilize the net more to get cool white label tracks or you can subscribe to WDO ... and there is also Club UK or UK CLub Beats i think ... i got to check my collection at home for exact name and will post tommorow ...

and yes ... computer in clubs is a big NO-NO first its NOT the same feel ... and by using a computer theres completely no mixing involve if your going that roots ... unless your using Final Scratch where 2 turntables can be hooked up into a loptop where you mix and scratch using your turntable and mixer .. but all your songs are stored in your loptop on a mp3 format . DJ Deigo of El Malecon is using this and its a cool gear..
ive used them a couple of times but its just not for me ... i still love my denon gear ... like what all DENON users says ... once youve used DENON ... theres no turning back ... its just plain pointless to use another ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oz Lotto Software with Real Winners sunnybrisbabe 1 9,420 11-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Last Post: sunnybrisbabe