Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worked in Saudi - let's try Brisbane!!
Hi all,

I am in the process of getting a job in Brisbane. I recently worked in Saudi localia for a year. I did visit Brisbane for a week - but how much different is it to work in Brisbane from Saudi? Obviously there is more freedom, but just wanted your thoughts or if people who have worked in Saudi and then gone to Brisbane would like to add anything?

Thanks!

welcome to brisbane...
was in saudi for abt 5 years..
now in brisbane..
man is it different....??? :lol:
it IS totally a different world...
to sum it all up.. its a cosmo place.. most happennin place around this side of the globe...
am sure u r not gonna leave this place.. BUT if u r thinkin of saving money... Big Grin .. just forget ittttttttttttt
cheers
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Kick Ass .. !!!!!!

saminbrisbane Wrote:welcome to brisbane...
was in saudi for abt 5 years..
now in brisbane..
man is it different....??? :lol:
it IS totally a different world...
to sum it all up.. its a cosmo place.. most happennin place around this side of the globe...
am sure u r not gonna leave this place.. BUT if u r thinkin of saving money... Big Grin .. just forget ittttttttttttt
cheers

Not necessarily. I've saved money. OK it's not cheap to live here, but if you limit eating / drinking in 5 star hotels to no more than 6 nights a week, keep away from the Gold Souk except in shopfest and go to work occasionally, it can be done. Eat Shwarma, spend drinking time doing the happy hour crawl, you're all set. Just don't ever, ever get married and have kids. Game Over.

lol Big Grin
yea.. DONT ever get married... forget abt kids..... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
just keep swinging.......... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin and keep the ball rolling....
Kick Ass .. !!!!!!

I am thinking of going to work in Saudi - what is it like there? Are there big chain grocery stores, malls, etc.? What can you do for fun there?

Thanks, welcome to Brisbane

Depends on your lifestyle. On a good day you won't spend your last hour on this planet on CNN nightly news wearing an Orange jumpsuit with a bunch of Australian guys reciting the Koran behind you. The shops open all the time.....then close again, then open again, then close again........you get the picture. If you're leaving Brisbane for this, hope you're at least adding a zero on your salary. Two zeros wouldn't make me live there. Personal choice. "Your money or your life" as Adam Ant once said

u can try stayin alive for FUN there...

Kick Ass .. !!!!!!

Thanks for the reply, Logic. Is it really that hostile there? Your post made it sound like avoiding death is a daily affair - is this true?

Yeah, like most people that go there, I am going for better money.

Thanks!

Mr. Logic Wrote:Depends on your lifestyle. On a good day you won't spend your last hour on this planet on CNN nightly news wearing an Orange jumpsuit with a bunch of Australian guys reciting the Koran behind you. The shops open all the time.....then close again, then open again, then close again........you get the picture. If you're leaving Brisbane for this, hope you're at least adding a zero on your salary. Two zeros wouldn't make me live there. Personal choice. "Your money or your life" as Adam Ant once said

i lived in Saudi (AUDahran/Khobar) almost my whole life and never had a problem. i never ended up 'on CNN in an orange jumsuit'....I am christian but have good knowlege of the culture there, and am respectful. Saudis are not lunatics as most would have you believe. most of them are very hospitable and accepting (at least the educated ones) the non-educated ones live in tents in the desert. of course there are less freedoms in Saudi than in Brisbane and much less to do, but I really believe Saudi is no less safe than anywhere else.......it just gets a bad reputation from the exaggerated media views

we never know what we are missing....

Kick Ass .. !!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems Persist For Saudi Women Married to Non-Saudis Yusufaustralia 3 6,458 01-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Last Post: gangster
  Blogging in Saudi localia G 3 8,690 01-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Last Post: secretbrisbane
  Is Brisbane Safe After Those Al QAUDa Attacks in Saudi? pika123 6 10,807 12-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Leon